Twenty Percent Soldiers:
Our Secret Life in the National Guard
SUSAN AND KEVIN DELLICKER
The National Guard and Reserves is comprised of remarkable men and women who work behind the scenes as our nation’s supplemental fighting force. It’s a part-time job with a full-time commitment that
involves the entire family. They wear the same uniforms and train to the same standards as America’s full-time military. And when called to service, they fight right alongside the active duty. Nobody knows the difference. Yet they are very different.
Twenty Percent Soldiers is the true account of one couple’s life in the National Guard through eighteen years of part-time warfare. With humor and humility, Kevin and Susan Dellicker portray what it’s like to jump back and forth between having a “normal” civilian life in small-town Pennsylvania and conducting special operations missions in Southwest Asia. A tribute to all the part-time soldiers, airmen, and their families who have been fighting the Global War on Terrorism since 9-11, this story is also a call-to-action for politicians and military leaders to fix a broken family support system that is
failing the part-time force.
Twenty Percent Soldiers reinforces a truth that all Americans can embrace: With perseverance, love and faith, ordinary people can accomplish extraordinary things.
KEY SELLING POINTS
• An unusual military memoir focussing on family support issues, spousal perspective, and joint spousal perspective.
• Strong Christian testimonials that will appeal to faith-based crowds.
• There is a policy component to this book. It contains a call to action for creating a new family support system for the Guard and Reserve.
• Susan and Kevin will donate a portion of the profits to military charities.
• The reserve component consists of 1.1 million people.
• The authors plan to partner with military advocacy organizations.
• The authors have social networking accounts to promote the book.
• The authors plan to attend events and conferences to market the book including generating coverage in newspapers and online journals
Susan is a military wife of twenty years and mother to three teenage boys. She studied in Europe as a Fulbright Scholar, earned a master’s degree from the University of Cincinnati and taught English at a Gymnasium in the former East Germany. She worked as a public relations professional and cofounded a business with her husband before devoting herself full-time to her children as a stay-at-home mom. Today, she is a high-school German teacher.
Kevin is married to Susan and father to the same three boys. He has degrees in history, environmental management, public administration and military science, and is working on a master of divinity in global studies. Kevin is the owner of a successful technology company and former policy advisor to
the governor of Pennsylvania. He is a veteran of the National Guard with twenty-four years of parttime service as an Army infantry soldier and Air Force intelligence officer. He has deployed four times for the Global War on Terrorism with the 193rd Special Operations Wing.